Friday, March 22, 2013
I saw this post on Liz's blog, and I thought I would join in the fun. Because I love to know personal things about people, I think this little exercise is quite fabulous. So, here are five things on Fabulous Friday that you might not know about me...
1. I like to say that dermatology is my "hobby." If you have a big zit, yo I'll pop it. (Sing that line to the tune of Ice Ice Baby.) Got an in-grown hair? I'm all over that. Pores a little clogged? Don't worry, I can take care of that too. Oh, and I like to tweeze stray hairs (my own and other people's). And basically I obsessively groom myself and my poor, poor husband. He does not like this quality of mine. Actually, this is not really a secret. If you have ever met me, you have probably seen this in action. Sorry.
2. One of my biggest regrets is that I did not study abroad in college. The truth is I was too scared to be that far away from home. Now, I wish I could just pick up and move to a different country for a while. Wouldn't that be lovely?
3. There are very few things in life I enjoy as much as I enjoy watching tv. I don't discriminate. Give me Honey Boo Boo, Breaking Bad, Downton, Wife Swap, it doesn't matter. I love them all. Of all the amazing things this life has to offer, television, a passive, unhealthy, sometimes mind-numbing activity would be up there with any other of the more sophisticated pleasures you can imagine. I am coming to terms with the fact that this is kind of sick now that I've actually confessed it.
4. I spend a little (okay maybe a lot) of time each day obsessing over the size of my thighs...and I eat chocolate anyway.
5. I still have to force myself to do social things that intrinsically make me uncomfortable. I spent the majority of my adolescence deeply afraid that if I showed who I was, no one would like me. So, I didn't really talk to many people. These days, my husband keeps me in check. He reminds me to make plans with people, extend myself, to have confidence, and to be open to new experiences and making connections. I appreciate that he gets me and does this (even though I often resent it in the moment). When I know you and am comfortable, I don't shut up. But, throw me into a party situation where I don't know people, and I am a hot mess. Remember this little incident?
You know what's really crazy? There are actually not that many things I keep secret. I am kind of an open book. Huh. Maybe I should work on that?
As I am turning 30 on Sunday, it is a perfect time to reflect on just how far I've come (in regards to number 5) and how I still have some annoying habits I would like to shed (like number 4--the obsessing over the body parts--not the chocolate eating part). I was at the grocery store last night buying a bottle of wine, and I got carded. When I told the cashier I was about to be 30, she said "Geez! You must use some really nice cream." Thanks, lady at Andronico's, you made my Friday, Saturday, and Sunday fabulous.
Hope you're doing something amazing this weekend! And, if you are a blogger, by all means, tell us five things!